If you are a responsible pet owner, I am very sure that you will be very concerned about your dog’s safety, well-being, and health. To keep your dog safe from many accidents, harness and leash training is very important.
The harness is the best option for those dogs that are puller. For these dogs, wearing a collar is not a good option, as it can be very dangerous and damage the structure of the dog’s neck. Also, having a harness on your dog means that it will offer you great control over him, and you can avoid many problems that can occur due to aggressive walking.
These are some of the dangers your pup may face, but you can avoid them by training your dog to get used to a harness and leash from a young age.
In this article, we will discuss how to harness train your dog and the best harness and leash available for dogs.
How to choose the Right Harness?
Before selecting a harness for your dog, first look at the different harnesses on the market. There are different styles of harness available, but not all harnesses will fit your dog. The best harness is one that distributes the force of the leash against your dog’s back and chest.
Second, harnesses are available in different sizes; you should always measure your dog’s rib cage before purchasing a harness. It is very important to buy the correct size because if the harness is too tight, your dog will remain uncomfortable, and if it is to lose, your dog will get out of it.
A harness like the EzyDog Quick fit harness may be a perfect option for your dog as it is easy to put on; it only takes one click of the buckle. The stainless steel ring will help anchor the strap, and above all, it is an all-in-one harness that provides perfect visibility at night.
What will happen if you will not buy the right size harness?
A harness that does not fit your dog will make him uncomfortable and make training difficult. Harnesses are available in different sizes and shapes. A harness that fits your Great Dane will not be perfect for your Toy poodle.
Similarly, the fit of the harness is not dependent on the weight of your dog because the 50-pound Greyhound will wear a different harness than the 50-pound Bulldog. Before selecting the harness, please look at the size chart first and make sure you buy the correct size.
In the case of a poorly adjusted harness, the common signs that will appear are
- Hair loss around the harness area
- Dog struggles to walk
- Can’t move freely
How to get your dog used to harness?
When you buy a harness, it will be an overwhelming situation for you, but for your dog harness is a scary thing. Before your dog gets used to the harness, here are some tips that will make your pup feel comfortable.
- First, let your dog investigate the harness.
- Touch their body with the harness and if they remain calm, give them a treat.
- Get your dog used to it, and every time your dog stays calm, praise him, and give him a treat.
- Open and close the buckle in front of your dog and give him a treat with each click sound.
Some dogs do not like the touch of the harness because some part of their body is sensitive. To overcome this problem, don’t pet the area of the body where your dog feels uncomfortable. Each dog will need a different time to get used to the harness, do not rush the process. If your dog walks away from the process, it means that you are rushing the process.
How to put a harness on your dog?
Now you are sure that your dog is getting used to the harness and that harness wearing it is not stressful, then you can make your next move.
- Fasten the buckles but always make sure your dog is comfortable
- Start using the harness inside home to make the dog comfortable, and then attached the leash with the harness.
- Now is the time to take your harnessed dog outside for fun time
- Associate the harness with some positive experience such as treats, toys, praise or affection, etc. You must know what our dog likes the most to do what you like.
- The key to effective training is to take it slowly so your dog can easily learn and remember it for a long time.
Choosing the right leash
When you have chosen the correct harness, the next step is to choose the correct leash. A leash is an important tool for training your puppy and is one of the important things you will use every day. It will help you keep the dog at bay when you go for a walk. That is why it is important to find a leash that suits your dog’s needs.
You may have seen dog owners walking their dog with leashes of different colors, lengths, widths, styles, materials, and handle types, but how will you know which leash is best for your dog?
An all-in-one leash such as the Ezydog Zero shock 48″ leash is the best leash for your dog because it can absorb shock and is compatible with all types of harnesses. In addition, it has high visibility at night and is soft to the touch.
How to get your dog used to leash?
The leash can be inserted when your dog is comfortable with the harness for the first time. Few steps you should follow for setting the leash are:
- Begin the process by touching the strap on the buckle, but do not hook it.
- Repeat this process over and over again so that your dog gets comfortable with it.
- After that, hook the strap and let it loose.
- If your dog remains calm, give him a treat.
There is nothing better than a dog that is comfortable with a harness and leash, but for this, you need the right harness and leash, and you can get these dog accessories from Prize toy